Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My Redy Eye Tetra has a red ';cold sore'; looking spot on the top lip - is it a fungus or a wound?

My tank is 10gallon of peaceful community fish- and all of the sudden my red eye tetra has this spot- almost like a cold sore or a like her top lip is hanging off?? None of the other fish seem to have this, and I'm not sure what to do next? Do I take it out and isolate it until I figure it out? If I put her alone in a bowl she's likely get stressed and die anyway. please help! I just noticed it today, it was not there yesterday and I watch my fish very closely daily!My Redy Eye Tetra has a red ';cold sore'; looking spot on the top lip - is it a fungus or a wound?
It's most likely just a wound. If it looks fuzzy or cottony, it could either be a fungus or a bacterial disease called columnaris. With no fuzzy look to it, I would simply keep the tank nice and clean while it heals. If it looks fuzzy, use Jungle Labs Fungus Eliminator as it will treat both fungus and columnaris disease. Treat right in the main tank as other fish could have it and it not be showing up yet.





MMMy Redy Eye Tetra has a red ';cold sore'; looking spot on the top lip - is it a fungus or a wound?
Just buy medicine from a petstore! That's the quickest way to solve the problem!





Your probably right- it is fungus. You can buy cures for that at your local petstore.





Hope this helps!


Good luck!





P.S. If she DOES die, chill out! It's just a fish!
Red sores or ulcers are usually a sign of a bacterial infection, and around the mouth area, is usually a sign of a bacterial infection called columnaris. There's a wide range of symptoms to that infection, it may or may not take on a cotton/fungus looking appearance on the mouth, fin/tail rot can go along with it, there may be white stringy material hanging from the fish as well. Those are just some of the more common symptoms. I'd say your best bet is to quarantine the fish and treat with an antibiotic like Maracyn Two.
if it looks white and like a tiny grain of salt its probably something called icc. it is a fungus and it is contagious. they sell them almost anywhere like petco, petsmart even walmart. its not expensive medicine and you should isolate it in a comfortable bowl or tank until it gets better. Hope it helps.
A red sore could mean a bacterial infection or something as simple as a small wound. So I wouldn't take any chances. I would remove the fish from the main tank and place it in a ';hospital'; tank. This would be a small bare tank with some aeration. Treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic. Maracyn or Maracyn 2
Don't you think you should be asking this of a VET?!
I'm sorry to come in the back door like this, but do you know the age bipolar is usually diagnosed/detected ? Is it like schizophrenia in that it is usually in that same age bracket . you can answer me by checking out my questions and answering one or going to my yahoo and emailing me if you wish I'd really like to know ???? big question for me

No comments:

Post a Comment